Our chronic disease program provides support for the management of all types of chronic diseases, for example: diabetes, COPD (lung conditions), arthritis, high blood pressure and many others. Our professionals are specially trained to coach adult individuals and families in practical ways to take charge of their health and prevent complications or further disease.
- Registered Dietitians
- Registered Nurses
- Exercise Specialist
- Social Worker
The Dietitians and Nurses provide an in-depth assessment of each client who is at risk for, or who has Type 2 diabetes as well as to determine the impact of other chronic conditions. Referral to other team members is done as required so that the medical, social and emotional issues faced are addressed.
The Chiropodist provides foot care services and promotes foot health for people who are at risk for diabetes or who are experiencing complications of diabetes.
- Registered Respiratory Therapist
- Exercise Specialist (Registered Kinesiologist)
The Respiratory Therapist performs routine lung function tests to help diagnose and treat lung conditions, as well as providing counselling and support to quit smoking and manage symptoms like shortness of breath, coughing and fatigue. The Registered Kinesiologist provides physical activity assessment and health behavior change counseling.
The Chronic Disease program staff place emphasis on health promotion, chronic disease self-management, disease prevention, education and treatment.
Here are some ways that we help you manage your health:
- Most of our Chronic Disease services are located at Yorkgate Mall site
- We offer group programs in community locations
- Urgent appointment times are available
- Your appointments can be made for one location, on one day
- We communicate regularly with your doctor or nurse practitioner
- If you need a reminder, we will call you before your appointment date
- Language interpretation is provided
For more information about our Chronic Disease Programs and Services, please call 416-246-2388