Position Title: REGISTERED MIDWIFE
Department: Allied Health Services
Location: Various Locations
Status: Full-time permanent-- Bargaining Unit position
Hours/Shifts: 35 hours per week
Schedules/work location are subject to change to meet operational needs.
Black Creek CHC is a community-based primary care organization that is committed to addressing the social determinants of health in a client-centered, equity driven manner. Our inter-disciplinary team of care providers provide comprehensive primary health care to registered clients of our Centre. We are seeking a Registered Midwife to join our primary care team and participate in the delivery of programs and services to community members. If you are interested in addressing individual, group and community health issues while working in a supportive environment and maintaining a positive work-life balance, you will be interested in joining our team.
The midwife is responsible for the delivery of reproductive health care services to women. This includes providing support during the prenatal and childbirth process, as well as participating in health promotion activities for parents and children. The midwife will also ensure that women who have more complex health needs receive the care most suited to them from other members of the multidisciplinary healthcare team.
- Provide individualized primary maternity care with women and their families from conception, through pregnancy, labour, birth and the six week postpartum period
- Provide individualized care in a variety of settings including the client's home and hospital
- Facilitate continuity of access to care beyond the childbearing year, when necessary, through communication with other care providers or services
- Offer a continuum of midwifery care that is inclusive, culturally competent and celebrates the richness of the diverse communities served. Particular emphasis is placed on priority populations in BCCHC catchment areas (North York West)
- Assess care requirements and write care plan
- Conduct screening tests - patient samples, pulses, temperatures and blood pressures
- Provide information, emotional support and reassurance to women and their partners during labour
- Monitor and administer medication, injections and intravenous infusions during labour and monitor the foetus during labour
- Advise and support clients in the daily care of their newborn babies
- Help clients to cope with miscarriage, termination, stillbirth and neonatal death
- Supervise midwives interns and handle other duties as assigned
- Participate in professional learning and development activities
- Graduate of a Canadian University Midwifery education program or a qualification equivalent to it in accordance with the College of Midwives of Ontario
- Current certificates in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), Neonatal Resuscitation certification (NRP) with intubation, and an Obstetrical Emergency Skills course
- Recent Midwifery practice experience must meet the Canadian Midwifery Regulatory Council, Ontario standards for currency of practice required for initial/maintaining registration as a practicing Midwife
- Experience working within the Canadian Midwifery Model of Practice is an asset.
- In possession of a valid Ontario driver’s license and access to a dependable vehicle for use at all times
- Able to work flexible hours according to patient needs and location of service for the provision of on-site clinical services, healthcare in patient homes/communities (as appropriate), hospital/clinic services
- Must be physically able to perform the duties related to the position under varying weather and environmental conditions including heavy lifting, carrying equipment in and out of houses/buildings and up and down stairs
- Demonstrated excellent communication and interpersonal skills and able to function as a member of an interdisciplinary team
- Experience working with multicultural populations, an asset
- Experience working in a Community Health Centre an asset
- Competencies in language other than English an asset
Reports to: Director of Primary Health Care
Closing date for applications: Open till filled.
Please send application to: firstname.lastname@example.org
‘‘Black Creek Community Health Centre is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. All qualified candidates for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, national origin, age, disability, protected veterans status or any other legally protected grounds will be considered.”
Accommodations will be provided for candidates with disabilities, where needed and on request, to support their participation in all aspects of the recruitment process.
Thank you for applying.